As much as physical pain affects our body, it affects our mind too. Pain that is mild in nature is not much of a concern, but it becomes intolerable when it gets severe. It feels like you cannot perform the way you would like to perform. It becomes difficult to give your best or to be your best version. There is always something irritating or torturing you. You feel restless and your mind goes all chaotic. To get relief from physical pain, people take help of pain medications. One of such a pain med is Soma Pill.
Soma pill is actually a reliever that specializes in acute or muscular pain. This pain med is a brand name for the generic product Carisoprodol. The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) approved this medicine in the year 2007. It is a Schedule IV controlled substance that was declared by the Drug Enforcement Agency (DEA) under the Controlled Substances Act. Since then, it is sold only with prescriptions in the United States. One must make sure that they use this product only for medical purposes. Do not use this medication for any non-medical purposes or for recreational purposes. This drug is for adults only. Nobody, less than 18 years, should take this drug.
How does Soma Pill work?
Carisoprodol is a muscle relaxer that has an impact on the entire central nervous system of a person. The exact way it does its work is not yet known. But research has shown that it works by altering the pain sensations between the neurotransmitters. It prevents the pain sensations from reaching the brain. It relaxes the user’s mind and helps them get over their pain.
If you are someone who is prescribed to take this pill, make sure you are taking proper rest and physical therapy as well.
Should you take Soma during Pregnancy or Breastfeeding?
Well, Soma is not safe for women who are breastfeeding. The substance Carisoprodol can pass through a mother’s milk and develop some withdrawal symptoms in the baby. It can also lead to troubles breathing. Do ask your doctor for a safer alternative for pain relief if you are a lactating mother.
Women who are expecting and those who are planning to get pregnant soon must ask their doctor before taking the pill. Using the pill without contacting a doctor can be very dangerous.
If you are someone who is a frequent user of this drug, you must ask your doctor if it is safe to continue taking it during pregnancy.
Instructions for consuming this pain drug
Following are some general guidelines for Soma consumption. Do follow your doctor’s dosage guide carefully.
- Take the med before or after having your food with a glass of water. Never use any kind of sedative substances including alcohol with this drug. This can have some really long-term serious side-effects on you.
- Use the drug for the prescribed time period only. Usually, doctors recommend adults with muscle spasms to take it for 2-3 weeks maximum.
- The standard dosage for adults with muscle spasm is 250-350 mg. Take it thrice in a day and once before going to bed. It depends on your pain, however.
- Give your doctor information on your past illnesses. Show him all of your medical reports. If you were in any way allergic to this drug before, you should not use this product.
- People with porphyria (a genetic enzyme disease) should not take this medication.
- Also, provide a list with the names of all the drugs or treatments you are taking at present. This is necessary to prevent any sort of harmful drug interactions that might occur between them and Carisoprodol.