Back pain is seen to be very common among people today. People of all ages have experienced this at least once in their lifetime. Lower back pain, especially, is common among older individuals. It can, however, also occur among middle-aged people. It occurs due to injury to a muscle or ligament. Reasons can be lifting something heavy improperly, bad posture, fracture, or lack of regular exercise etc. Soma Pill, the muscle relaxer, can be a good treatment for relieving such pain.
This pain reliever is a skeletal muscle relaxer that works on a person’s central nervous system. It is a CNS depressant that helps a person to get both muscle pain relief as well as mental relief from the pain. A person using this drug must also take proper rest and physical therapy. This drug offers short-term relief from pain. Doctors recommend this drug for not more than 2-3 weeks maximum.
The Action Mechanism of Soma Pill
How this pain medication exactly works is still unknown. It is, however, said to work by preventing the transmission of pain sensations between the nerves in the spinal cord and the brain. This changes a person’s reaction or behavior towards the pain.
It is observed in animal studies that the chemical present in this drug acts by changing the inter-neuron activity in the spinal cord. This impacts on the reticular formation in the brain.
What you should know about this drug!
- It is a brand name of the generic Carisoprodol. It has been on the market since the year 1959.
- The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) approved this drug in the year 2007.
- It is a Schedule IV Controlled Substance under the Controlled Substances Act declared by the DEA.
- You need to get a prescription from a doctor to buy and use this drug.
- Carisoprodol is an addictive drug. Use it carefully and always stick to your doctor’s prescription.
- Never share this drug with any other person mainly those who have a prior drug addiction.
- This drug is not safe for anybody who is less than 18 years of age.
How to use this pain med?
To know the right dosage according to your health condition, you should contact a doctor. Normally for muscle spasms, adults take 250-350 mg of this medication.
One should start with a lower dose initially and gradually increase the doses. You can take the drug irrespective of your mealtime.
Take the pills with a glass of water. Never mix it with alcohol or in any manner not instructed by a doctor. Do not break, chew, inject, inhale, or split the tablets.
Also, ask your doctor before using any other medication or treatments while you are taking Soma. There could be harmful drug interactions among the drugs.
Do inform about your whole medical history to your doctor. People with a genetic enzyme disorder called porphyria should not use this drug.
Store the drug at room temperature away from heat, moisture, or direct sunlight. Dispose of any unused and expired medications immediately.