Since the year 1959, a pain reliever by the name of Soma Pill (Carisoprodol) is widely used and prescribed for the treatment of muscle or acute pain. The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) originally approved this medication in the United States in the year 2007.
This medication works better when used together with proper rest and physical therapy. Moreover, one should consult a doctor before purchasing or using this pain med. It is a prescription medication and by the Drug Enforcement Agency (DEA), it has been declared as a Schedule IV controlled substance under the Controlled Substances Act.
What does Carisoprodol do?
This pain med is basically a centrally acting muscle relaxer or a CNS depressant. It works like a blanket sedative and affects the entire central nervous system of a person. It is unknown how exactly Soma works. But, it is said to alter the communication between the neurotransmitters that transmit pain sensations between the spinal cord and the brain. It changes the way a person responds or reacts to pain.
Composition of Soma Pill
The following are the ingredients of Soma Pill –
Active Ingredients: Carisoprodol and Aspirin
Inactive Ingredients: microcrystalline cellulose, lactose monohydrate, pregelatinized starch, croscarmellose sodium, povidone, silicon dioxide, and magnesium stearate
Drugs Interactions of Soma
There are some medications or drugs that must not be used with Carisoprodol. If you do, they can result in some very dangerous side-effects or even death.
You should not use the following medications with Soma –
- Fluoxetine, fluvoxamine
- St. John’s Wort
- Antifungal medicine – ketoconazole, voriconazole
- Seizure medicine – carbamazepine, oxcarbazepine
- Sedative – diazepam, alprazolam, lorazepam, Valium, Xanax, and others
- Stomach acid reducers – esomeprazole, lansoprazole, omeprazole, pantoprazole, Nexium, Prilosec
Do not use Soma with alcohol, street drugs, sleeping pills, narcotic pain medicine, muscle relaxer, medicine for anxiety, depression, or seizures, prescription cough medicine etc.
Before starting to use Soma pill, consult with your doctor and inform him/her about any drugs or treatments that you currently taking. They are inclusive of prescribed drugs, over-the-counter drugs, recreational drugs, dietary drugs, illegal drugs, nutritional drugs, vitamins, or herbal treatments etc.
How to consume this pain med?
- You can take this oral pain med either on an empty stomach or after consuming your meal. Avoid chewing, breaking, inhaling, or injecting this drug.
- An adult with muscle spasm can take this drug for about thrice a day and once before bedtime. Never take it for more than the prescribed period of time which is usually 2-3 weeks.
- The recommended dose for this drug is 250 to 350 mg.
- You must store this product in a cool and dry place that is away from extreme heat, moisture, or direct sunlight. Do not keep this medication in your washroom.
- Also, never share your medicine with any other person. As already mentioned, it is a controlled drug and a person must have a doctor’s prescription to use it. Moreover, selling or sharing this drug with others is illegal.
Note that Carisoprodol has sedative effects. So, people who have a habit of consuming alcohol regularly should not use this drug. You must also never let it get in the hands of people who have a prior drug/alcohol addiction problem. Children or teenagers who are less than 16 years of age must not use this drug.