Our entire body is made up of muscles. As we live and work under varying circumstances, the muscles are subject to wear and tear. Muscle pain can occur for various reasons ranging from an injury to viral flu. It is not untreatable as there are pain relief medications available which are clinically tested and approved. Muscle relaxers are a group of pain relievers which are specially developed for treating muscle injuries, soreness, and spasms. Soma (Carisoprodol) is one such fast-acting muscle-pain reliever which can treat mild to moderate acute pain.
This medication acts as a solution to get the recovery from muscle pain. The process also includes proper rest and physical therapy.
When we suffer from any muscle injury or muscle spasm, our brain receives the signal of pain send by the nerves which come through certain neurotransmitters called norepinephrine and serotonin
The working mechanism of Soma is not exactly known but it is believed to inhibit the reuptake of these neurotransmitters in the brain so that the brain is not able to perceive the pain. In simple terms, this medication blocks the ways through which the painful sensations between the brain and the nerves. This relieves us from the muscle pain and discomfort. As a result, the doctor can undertake principal treatment of the underlying cause with ease.
The dosing instructions for Soma should be followed as per doctor’s guidelines only. The ideally recommended guidelines are-
• First of all, the recommended dosage for Soma is 250-350 mg. You can take this dosage three times in a day and at bedtime.
• Secondly, Soma 500 mg is the maximum dosage which should be taken by you only if the doctor prescribes.
• The maximum recommended period is 2 to 3 weeks. Do not use Soma pill for an extended period of time.
• Do not change the dosing amount of Soma without an approval from the doctor.
The most common side effects of Soma are-
• Skin rash
• Mild headaches
• Sore throat
• People with a recent history of cardiovascular problems like chest pain, high blood pressure, coronary heart disease or the like. Taking Soma under such conditions can increase the chances of a cardiac arrest.
• People with renal impairment should not take this drug as the drug might not get properly eliminated from the body due to poor functioning of the kidneys.
• Moreover, those who have a long history of drug abuse and addiction should not take this medication because of its abuse potential.
• During pregnancy, women should not take this drug. Though the result is not crearly knownm it may harm the unborn baby.
• Lactating mothers also should not take this medicine as it may harm the baby by passing through the breast milk. In addition to that, it might harm the mother also.
Soma is an oral prescription drug which you should use for muscle pain only according to a doctor’s prescription. If you try to overdose or use it for an extended period, you might have to face the following resultant symptoms-
• Visual hallucinations
• Difficulty in breathing
• Difficulty swallowing food
• Shaky voice while speaking
• Unusual facial expressions
• Muscular incoordination
• Irregular movement of eyeballs
• Frequent blinking.
• Frequent vomiting
Moreover, you should not withdraw from taking this medication abruptly.
An overdose of Soma (Carisoprodol) is not recommended as it might lead to dependence and unwanted symptoms as mentioned above.Therefore, it is advisable to use pain medications only if they are prescribed by a trusted healthcare provider.