An introduction to NUVIGIL
Wow! The amount of stress we need to deal with every day. That is indeed a “Wow”! No question arises here on what work we do. If you are a student, a businessman, an office goer or whoever you are or whatever work you do, it sure consists of stress. Here we are looking for a way that will take our load of stress off of us and make us active and productive. Stress doesn’t do anything positive to us. What it does is completely opposite to what we want to do. A cognitive enhancer or smart pill, if you’ve heard of, take our stress making us more active and well-functioning. Now, Nuvigil is one of those wonder drugs which are known as smart drugs.
WHAT IS NUVIGIL?
Nuvigil, an oral smart pill, helps a person to get over their excessive sleepiness. It helps in promoting wakefulness in those individuals who cannot stay awake during the day. The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has approved this nootropic for use by those suffering from narcolepsy, obstructive sleep apnea, and shift work sleep disorder. This approval was given on 15th June 2007. This pill is also used for the reason that it helps to keep a mind active, alert and well-functioning. It helps in improving the cognitive functions of an individual.
Generic name: Armodafinil
Active ingredients: Armodafinil
Inactive ingredients: croscarmellose sodium, lactose monohydrate, magnesium stearate, microcrystalline cellulose, povidone, and pregelatinized starch
HOW SHOULD YOU TAKE THIS MEDICATION?
Before taking this medication, make sure that you have gone for a check-up with the doctor. Your medical condition will determine what dose you should take and at what time you should take this medication. Follow the general guidelines stated below for consumption of this pill:
- Take this medication orally with or without food.
USUAL ADULT DOSE
Narcolepsy and Obstructive Sleep Apnea patients: take 150-250 mg orally once a day in the morning.
Shift Work Sleep Disorder: It is advised to take 150 mg orally about 1 hour prior to the start of the work shift (night shifts). If you are a worker who works in the rotational shifts, it is better for you to take the advice of a doctor about the dosage of the medicine how should you consume it.
- Take this medication in the morning or in the early afternoon. This pill has quite a long half-life. Do not take it later in the day as you are more likely to have sleep disturbances.
- If you stop taking this drug suddenly after a long-term use, you may suffer from withdrawal symptoms. Talk to your doctor before you stop taking this drug.
THE PRECAUTIONS YOU MUST TAKE:
- Tell your doctor beforehand if you allergic to Armodafinil or Modafinil (Provigil) or have any other allergies. This product contains some inactive ingredients that might cause allergic reactions
- To make sure that the drug is safe for you, tell your doctor if you’ve ever had any of the following –
- Liver or kidney disease;
- Drug or alcohol addiction;
- Mental illness or psychosis;
- Elevated or high blood pressure, heart disease or prior heart attack; or
- A heart muscle or valve disorder like mitral valve prolapsed
- Make a complete list of all the drugs (prescribed, non-prescribed, vitamins or any herbal products) that you are using at present and then inform the doctor about all these drugs. This will help in ensuring their safe interactions with Nuvigil.
- An important thing that you must know is that Armodafinil can be quite addictive. Do not ever share this pill with other people especially with one who is with the history of drug abuse or substance misuse disorder. Misuse of this drug can cause death.
- You may have to feel dizzy after taking this medicine. Do not perform any of those activities which require mental alertness like driving, operating big machinery etc. until you can safely perform them.
- Consumption of this drug with alcohol or any other such substances is a big no! This may create a very dangerous impact on your health.
- Store this medicine at a dry place, at room temperature away from moisture, heat and direct sunlight. Keep it in a sealed container and in a secured place so that no children or animals can reach it.
WHAT TO DO IF YOU EVER MISS A DOSE?
In case you miss a dose, take it as soon as you remember it. If it is nearly time for your bed, then skip that dose and return back to your normal dosing schedule. Taking it near your bedtime will only keep you awake the whole night. Also remember, you must never double dose of any medication.
WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU OVERDOSE?
Overdose on any medication can be fatal for your health. Always follow the dosing instructions that your doctor has provided you. If you happen to overdose on this medication, seek immediate medical attention. The overdose symptoms of this drug are nausea, confusion, diarrhea, restlessness, fast/slow heart rate, insomnia, hallucinations etc.
WHO SHOULD NOT TAKE THIS MEDICATION?
- Don’t use this medicine if your age does not cross the boundary of 17 years. It is not known whether Armodafinil affects an unborn baby. So, it is better to take this medicine after talking to the medical experts the pregnant women and for those who are planning to have a baby.
- Also, if you are breastfeeding, talk to a doctor before taking this pill. Whether this medication passes into breast milk or harms a nursing infant is not known.
Some of the most seen but not so serious side effects of this drug are headaches, dizziness, insomnia, nausea etc.
While taking this drug, you may also experience a serious allergic reaction like hives; difficulty in breathing; swelling in your face, or throat; rashes etc.
Some more serious side effects of this drug include fever, unexplained bruising or bleeding, numbness, pain, muscle weakness, depression, anxiety, hallucinations, aggression, unusual thoughts or behavior, suicidal thoughts etc. Get immediate medical help if you have to face any of these symptoms.