Don’t you wish for a cognition that can give you that competitive edge and that confidence to tackle the challenges at your workplace? Well, truly technological advancements like smart drugs provide people with an improved cognition to perform to their best of abilities. Modafinil is one of such a smart drug that improves cognitive abilities in healthy people. Though it is not approved for this reason, it is increasingly used for this purpose.
This smart pill is popular among all ages especially among youth. It has been nicknamed as the student drug and is widely known as the king of smart pills. As Modafinil is a prescription drug, you must contact your doctor before you buy Modafinil online.
Let us get into the details of this smart drug – Modafinil!
What is Modafinil approved for?
The drug Modafinil is a generic form of smart pill that is approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) as a treatment of sleep disorders. These sleep disorders include narcolepsy, SWD (shift work sleep disorder), and OSA syndrome (obstructive sleep apnea. It received approval in the month of December 1998.
Do not take this medication as a complete cure for these sleep disorders, it just provides the person with sufficient mental energy to go through the day. This drug has an effective elimination half-life of around 15 hours. So, it is more preferable to take it in the morning or in the early afternoon.
Those who are suffering from excessive daytime sleepiness due to narcolepsy or sleep apnea can take the doses once in the morning. However, those people who have work shifts (night or evening shifts) can use this smart pill one hour before they go to work. The rotating shift workers should take it as per the time prescribed by their doctor.
What are the non-approved uses of Modafinil?
People take this smart pill not only for its ability to enhance or improve their wakefulness, but for its ability to improve cognition. Mostly healthy people take it for gaining an improved mental functioning. This smart pill improves a person’s memory, attention span, reasoning skills and abilities, creativity, and focus and concentrating ability. Some also use this smart pill as a treatment for their depression, anxiety, neurological fatigue and attention deficit disorder. Note that it is not an approved product for these purposes.
Those who are totally healthy and have no sleep disorders should not use the pills for holding off their sleep.
What your doctor should know!
When you go for your health check-up, do not forget to give him the details of –
- Your entire medical history. You must inform your doctor if you have high blood pressure, heart diseases, a family history of substance use disorder (alcohol or drugs), history of mood/mental illness (hallucinations, nervousness, confusion, anxiety, depression etc.)
- The drugs or treatments you are taking at present. Such products may include prescribed drugs, non-prescribed drugs, recreational drugs, dietary drugs, nutritional drugs, illegal drugs, vitamins, herbal treatments etc.
Some notable precautions!
- Never consume this drug with products that can have sedative effects on you such as alcohol or street drugs. You should never take it by inhaling, injecting, breaking, splitting, or chewing the pills. Swallow the pill as a whole with a glass of water.
- Do not perform activities that need you to be mentally conscious such as driving. This drug can make you feel somewhat dizzy for which performing such activities can be risky.
- Also, you should know that Modafinil can be an addictive substance if misused. So, do not share it with other people mainly who have had a prior substance use disorder.