Nuvigil is a novel smart drug which received approval for use in the treatment of sleep disorders back in June 2007. It is an oral prescription medication which can improve wakefulness in adults with excessive fatigue and sleepiness. Note that, smart drugs like Nuvigil only help in promoting wakefulness and energy. These medications do not act as a substitute for getting enough sleep. One must be particularly careful in dosing on this medication as it is a powerful wake-promoting agent.
This blog post guides you towards the proper use of this smart drug for getting effective and safe results.
What is Nuvigil?
Nuvigil is the brand name for Armodafinil, a generic form of the smart drug. It is an upgrade in the world of smart drugs as it comes with a cleaner chemical formula. This medication comes with relatively fewer side effects and is effective even at a lower dose.
This prescription medication helps drive away excess sleepiness and fatigue by safely altering the actions of certain neurotransmitters in the brain. This is why doctors generally prescribe it in the treatment of sleep disorders like narcolepsy, obstructive sleep apnea, and shift work-related sleep disorders.
This medication is available in most registered pharmacies. You can also avail Nuvigil online. But you should have a prior approval from your doctor in order to use this smart drug.
How does Nuvigil work?
Nuvigil is an indirect dopamine reuptake inhibitor. This smart drug can inhibit the reuptake of dopamine by the nerves, ensuring its availability in the brain pathways. As a decent level of this neurotransmitter is circulating in these pathways, the person tends to feel more active and energetic. It is also responsible for elevating mood and clearing the fogginess from the brain. This promotes clarity of mind enabling one to focus on the tasks at hand.
An effective dose of 150 mg contains active Armodafinil which kicks in instantly within an hour of its intake. The biological half-life of this drug is approximately 15 hours. It means that the body clears half of this drug through renal and non-renal routes. The peak effects are gone but you can still feel a sense of activeness left. That is why never take more than a single dose of this medication in one day. Or else, it might disrupt your sleeping pattern.
Certain Considerations before taking Nuvigil:
Nuvigil can have certain contraindications regarding its use. So, it is advisable for you to consider the following cases (if any) before you take this medication-
- This smart drug can cause a problem if you have any health condition relating to liver problems, heart issues, kidney problems, mental health conditions and the like. Make sure to discuss these problems with your doctor.
- Nuvigil can also interact with certain other medications you are taking. If you are taking any other prescription or non-prescription medication, make sure to let your doctor know about the same.
- If you have any allergy to certain drugs or food items, do talk it out with your doctor so as to know if this smart pill will be safe for you.
- We do not know if this medication can work during pregnancy. So, it is better if you avoid it as there is a possibility of miscarriage or birth defects of the baby. There is also a chance of this drug passing into the breast milk and harming a nursing child. Therefore, women should particularly avoid it while lactating.
- One should also avoid the consumption of alcohol and other depressants while on this drug. Such depressants can deter the effectiveness of this medication.
How should one take Nuvigil?
One should always follow the instructions laid down in the doctor’s guidelines for taking this smart pill. Some general guidelines for taking this medication are-
- You can take the normally recommended dose of 150 mg once in the early morning for narcolepsy and sleep apnea. If you are suffering from shift work-related excessive sleepiness, make sure to take the 150 mg dose 1 hour prior to your shift work.
- It is advisable to take Nuvigil at the same time each day.
- Do not skip doses. Make sure to take this regularly for the prescribed period of time.
- You can take this pill with or without food.
- Also, do not overdose on this medication. It has a long half-life of 15 hours and an overdose can lead to disturbance in the regular sleeping pattern.