Modafinil, which is sold under the popular brand name of Provigil, is a wake-promoting smart drug. It is used to treat excessive sleepiness and fatigue in people suffering from sleep disorders like narcolepsy, obstructive sleep apnea, and shift work-related disorder. Apart from promoting wakefulness, it offers the following benefits–
- First of all, it promotes alertness of mind .
- Secondly, it is a great mood enhancer that can make you feel positive at work.
- It has the ability to improve memory power in healthy persons.
- It can also enhance your focus and attention while carrying out a particular task.
- Moreover, it can improve reasoning skills and abilities in most cases.
The exact mechanism of Modafinil is not yet known but it is believed to stimulate certain chemicals in the brain. Modafinil produces reliable effects with much lesser abuse potential as compared to smart drugs.
It is advised to take smart drugs as per your doctor’s guidelines only. Here are a few dosing instructions for Modafinil-
- The ideally recommended dose is 200 mg.
- For people with narcolepsy and sleep apnea, take one pill early in the morning or afternoon as prescribed.
- For people with shift work disorder, take one pill exactly one hour prior to your shift work.
- You can take this pill with or without food.
- Do not increase or decrease your dose without prior doctor’s prescription.
- Do not use Modafinil longer than prescribed.
Side Effects of Modafinil:
Modafinil does not have any severe side effects if you use it as directed. Possible side effects of this medication can be-
- High body temperature
- A headache
- Muscle weakness
- Easy bruising
- Stiff muscles
This is not a complete list of side effects associated with this smart drug. Based on your health condition, you might come across other side effects. In such a case, you should consult your doctor immediately.
Before taking a smart drug, do take the following key points into consideration-
- If you are currently suffering from any cardiovascular problem, it is best to avoid this drug at all costs. Taking Modafinil might cause chest pain, sudden increase or decrease in blood pressure or increased heart rate.
- You should not take modafinil if you are suffering from any kidney related disorders. If the kidneys are not functioning properly, the drug removal from the body becomes difficult, leading to drug accumulation in the body.
- Do not forget to mention your current medications so as to avoid drug interaction. These include anti-fungal medications, seizure medications, antidepressants, vitamins or other health supplements.
- Read the drug-related information carefully and check with your doctor if you have any kind of allergy to the drug ingredients.
- If you are taking any birth control medicine, it might not work properly while you are taking Modafinil.
- Do not take this medication if you are pregnant or planning to become pregnant. it might lead to miscarriage.
- If you have started breastfeeding, you should better avoid this medicine as the drug might pass into the breast milk and harm the baby.
- Alcohol intake along with this medicine might cause severe interactions leading to irregular sleep cycles, difficulty in breathing or vomiting.
Modafinil Tolerance and Dependence:
Modafinil’s effects on the neurotransmitters is quite unique. Its abuse potential is very low as compared to other smart drugs.
Dependence on this medication is not common as it is potentially not a very strong medication. If you overdose or use this drug for an extended period of time, you might get dependent on its use.
Doctors do not recommend abrupt withdrawal of Modafinil. Withdrawal symptoms may include anxiety, nervousness, fatigue and irregular sleep cycle. Your doctor may ask you to gradually withdraw from this medication before you stop completely.