Modafinil: A Boost for Your Brain HealthMarch 21, 2018
Soma: Free Yourself From Muscle PainMarch 23, 2018
Armodafinil (Nuvigil) is an R-enantiomer of racemic Modafinil (sold as Provigil). It is used to treat excessive sleepiness in people suffering from sleeping disorders like narcolepsy and obstructive sleep apnea. It also helps in reducing sleepiness in people who work in night shifts or rotational shifts. This cognitive enhancer was approved by U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) in June 2007. It does not cure the sleeping disorders. Neither does it get rid of all the sleepiness. It doesn’t take the place of getting proper sleep. If you are some with no sleeping problems, do not take this pill to hold off your sleep.
Brand Names: Nuvigil, Waklert, Artvigil
HOW TO CONSUME?
It is essential that you consult a doctor before consuming any medication. Your doctor can prescribe you the right dose depending on your health conditions. Given below are some general guidelines that can help you with the consumption of this smart drug:
- Take this pill with or without food.
- If you are suffering from narcolepsy or obstructive sleep apnea, you can take it once in the morning.
- If you work in shifts, it is advised that you take it an hour before your shift starts. Have a talk with your doctor regarding the time of consumption of this drug if you work in rotational shifts.
- Do not take it with alcohol or any other such substances. This might cause long-term adverse effects on your health.
- If you ever miss a dose, take it as soon as you remember. If it is already your bedtime, skip it and get back to your normal dosing routine. Never double dose to make up for the missed dose.
- Armodafinil may be addictive. Do not share it with any other person especially someone who had previously been a drug addict. Also, keep it away from children and pets. Misuse of this drug can be life-threatening.
- Store it at room temperature away from moisture, heat and direct sunlight. Do not keep it in your washroom.
- Tell your doctor about all the drugs (prescribed, non-prescribed, vitamins, or herbal products) that you are using at present.
- This drug has the potential to make you dizzy. Avoid such activities that require you to be mentally alert such as driving, operating big machinery etc. at least until you can perform these safely.
WHO SHOULD NOT CONSUME?
- If you are allergic to this drug or to Modafinil (Provigil) or have any other allergies, tell your doctor about it.
- It is not known whether it affects an unborn baby. Therefore, if you are pregnant or planning to get pregnant, you must consult a doctor before consuming this medication.
- It is also not known whether Armodafinil passes into breast milk or if it can harm a nursing infant. If you are a breastfeeding mother, consult a doctor before taking this drug.
- Armodafinil is not approved for use by children under the age of 17 years.
- Also, tell your doctor if you have heart problems or heart valve problems.
Some of the common side effects of this drug include:
- Diarrhea (loose stools)
- A headache
- Getting too excited
- Back pain
- An upset stomach
- Dry mouth
Below given are some serious side effects of Armodafinil on the occurrence of which you must immediately consult a doctor.
- A severe allergic reaction to it is possible like rashes; hives; red, blistered or peeling skin, swollen mouth, tongue, lips, and throat; severe dizziness; difficulty in breathing.
- Muscle or joint pain
- Chest pain, pressure, irregular/pounding/fast heartbeat
- Depression, lack of interest in life, suicidal tendencies, anxiety
- A sore throat, shortness of breath
- A very bad skin reaction (Stevens-Johnson syndrome) is also possible. It may cause very bad health problems that may not go away. It may also cause death.
Please note this is not a complete list of the side effects of Armodafinil. Talk to your doctor if you want to know more about its side effects.